Saturday, May 31, 2014

Mother's Day

Dear Everyone,

Happy Mother's Day! :) It was great to Skype mom, dad, and Eric yesterday. Can you believe that that was my last Skype session on my mission? Crazy how fast time goes!

Well, I promised you a lot this week, and I will do my best to deliver. My letter today is going to be everything that I've learned on my mission so far (or as much as I can type about it!)

*Something that I've been studying/tracking in my scripture study is parallels between stories in the Book of Mormon and other books of scripture. examples: Joseph Smith couldn't immediately get the plates (JS-H 1:53-54) and neither could Mormon (Mormon 1:3-4). There's also a lot of parallels between the children of Israel and the Nephites being in the wilderness.

*I've also made a chart in my study journal of every time the Lord gives the promise "keep my commandments and you'll be prospered in the land" and that occurs 15 separate times in the Book of Mormon with lots of subreferences under those with very similar but not exact wording:

▶ Show quoted text

▶ Show quoted text

▶ Show quoted text

*I've also been keeping a list of all the adverbs in the Book of Mormon that describe the "how" (adverb) of how we should keep the commandments. Usually the words are "faithfully" "diligently" "always" "immovably" etc.

Sister Brown commentary: It's not enough just to keep the commandments, it's how you keep the commandments that determines your salvation and exaltation. You're not going to live with God if you whined your whole way to get there.

*I've recently started a chart of "Unfinished Plots/Lack of Information" in the Book of Mormon. This basically includes any reference to lost scriptures (Zenock, Neum, Zenos), things missing from the Bible (Joseph of Egypt's prophecy-- 2 Nephi 3:5-7; 14-15). This list also includes when people randomly go off with groups of people and vanish into the wilderness/ocean never to be seen/heard from again.

Sister Brown commentary: I can't wait until the Millennium (or whenever) when we'll be able to figure out what happened to all these records/people. It'll be so cool!

*Today during personal study I made a chart of the lineage of the prophets who wrote in the Book of Mormon from Nephi down until Mosiah (the son of king Benjamin). I'm also super excited to make a thorough note-taking of the people of Limhi which will be the subject of my personal study tomorrow. That story gets kind of confusing if you don't pay attention!

*I made a list of over 50 names of Christ listed in the Book of Mormon with the references listed. I wish I could type them all out here but it's kind of annoying to list the references by typing because grammar is complicated on computer keyboards to list references. Such as parentheses and whatnot. Some of my favorite names of Christ (without references--sorry!)
Well BelovedGod of miraclesSon of our great GodHoly Child, Jesusthe Eternal Judge of both quick and deadKing of all the earth

*I did a Preach My Gospel activity on April 30th where I listed all the truths, covenants, ordinances restored and revealed through Joseph Smith. That was fun, and I'm definitely still adding to that list! Some of the things that I appreciate the most are the truths not found in the Bible (such as those in the Pearl of Great Price) and of course all of the temple ordinances that were restored. Side note: it's super cool to look at the Bible and what the church consisted of and then compare that to the church in our day. Our church is so similar to the church in the Old Testament (excluding the following of the Law of Moses of course because we believe Christ fulfilled that Law). 

*I've also been taking time to mark "Golden One Liner" scriptures in neon yellow highlighter in the Book of Mormon this time through. I haven't really decided what qualifies as a "Golden One Liner" but I think the title in itself is pretty self-explanatory.

                          Golden One Liners (so far....)

1 Nephi 10:18 For he is the same yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.1 Nephi 17:50-51 And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done. And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?2 Nephi 27:23For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith.Jacob 3:1...Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.

"What does Sister Brown do during Personal Study? She obviously has too much time on her hands?" is what you may be asking to yourself. In this mission, our president has asked us to only study Preach My Gospel and the Book of Mormon. I really like this guideline because it really helps us focus on the foundational doctrine of this church-- this is the doctrine that we share with people on a daily basis whether it be on the street, in a bus, or in a lesson. The more you study, the more the Holy Ghost can bring to your remembrance later! I've read through the Book of Mormon more than a couple times on my mission, and I always get something new out of it. I've mentioned before my crayon color-coding system (it's always evolving):

red--Christ's name, personal insights

orange-- obedience,commandments,obedience to the commandmentsyellow-- missionary work, prophesying, Restorationlight green-- promises, blessings, rewards, covenantsdark green-- the Spirit

Depending on where I'm currently reading in the Book of Mormon/what we're teaching that day, I'll keep reading in the Book of Mormon and look for things to add to the lesson plan we develop during companionship study. If I think a subject needs more thorough study, I will deeply study that by using different sections in the Book of Mormon and cross-references listed in Preach My Gospel (and of course designated sections in Preach My Gospel where this subject matter is listed).

These are some lines that I love from Preach My Gospel:

You show your love for the Lord and gratitude for His Atonement by bringing souls unto Him-- pg. 11

You are successful when you are obedient, live righteously, and do your best in helping others live the Gospel-- pg. 11

The Holy Ghost testifies of Christ and helps us recognize the truth. He provides spiritual strength and helps us do what's right. He comforts us during times of trial or sorrow. He warns us of spiritual or physical danger. The Holy Ghost provides the power by which we teach learn... Through the power of the Holy Ghost we can feel God's love and directions for us-- pg. 65

You can learn the Gospel by study, faith, and the power of the Holy Ghost-- pg. 24

All the prophets since the world began have testified of Jesus Christ as our Redeemer-- pg. 51

Our purpose in this life is to have joy and prepare to return to God's presence-- pg. 50

Sister Brown commentary: Random thought-- it's also really cool that we have free agency, and God will never take that away. Even though Satan fell, God didn't take the agency away from him to tempt us and whatnot. We have free agency on this earth to either submit our will to God or to break his commandments. If we use our agency to do what God wants, then we will be able to live with him. God wants us to choose the right, but he's given us the option to choose to do that. 

Probably the biggest thing that I've learned on my mission is that God is the same yesterday, today and forever (see above mentioned references to all the charts that I've drawn up in my study journal). He is a God of patterns and of miracles. My testimony has really been strengthened by my studies on my mission-- especially by exploring the patterns in the scriptures. I know the church is true, and I love it!

I hope this email was informative, and I really hope that you take the time to look up these references yourself. Maybe you'll find some new ways to study the scriptures that you'd never thought of before. I love you!

Have a wonderful week!!

Love,

Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment