Saturday, May 10, 2014

Letter from Mission President

Dear Elders and Sisters,

When Sister Christensen and I landed in Ufa Thursday afternoon with Elder Henderson and Elder Ashjian, we ordered a taxi to take us from the airport to the church. An older, faded red Daiwoo taxi arrived about 15 minutes later, driven by a nice woman in her early thirties. Immediately after Elder Ashjian, Elder Henderson, Sister Christensen and I squeezed into the taxi and got underway, Elder Henderson, who was sitting in the front passenger seat with his long legs scrunched under the dashboard, began a pleasant, natural, comfortable conversation with the taxi driver. He asked about her family and her experiences as a taxi driver. She was a very open, smiling and conversational woman who commented on how much we were all smiling. Elder Ashjian and I joined the conversation from the back seat and asked her questions about her life in Ufa. She told us she had two sons, an eight year old and a four year old, but did not share any details about them or her husband. We kept a delightful conversation going with her on a number of topics that just came up normally and naturally. 

She ultimately asked why we were in Russia and what we were doing in Ufa. Elder Henderson explained our missionary work briefly. She asked a few questions about how long each of us had been in Russia and how we liked the country. She asked us about our experience with the language and complimented us for working so hard and successfully in learning to speak Russian so well (please be assured that I had not engaged in the conversation sufficiently to dispel her assumption that I could speak as well as Elder Henderson and Elder Ashjian). At the perfect moment, Elder Henderson asked her if she believed in God, which was the perfect, logical question to ask her as she was inquiring about what kind of church we represented. She responded very soberly that she did not believe in God and her countenance changed from the smiling, happy and engaged young woman who had been enjoying such a friendly conversation with us to a sad and troubled young mother who described how difficult it is for her to imagine a God who would allow her four year old son to be born with disfiguring birth defects. She talked openly of his struggles and the trial it was for her family to take care of him. It was obvious that she loved him dearly and was suffering because he was suffering. Elder Henderson was so kind, thoughtful and tender in his conversation with her. He asked about the little boy and showed such compassion and concern for her. She had tears in her eyes as she talked about her small son, how he struggled mentally and how difficult it was for him to deal with his physical challenges. She repeated her conclusion that no loving God would allow her son to suffer in this way and that she was convinced that there was, in fact, no God. 

Elder Henderson explained how our message was a message of understanding and hope, that she could find peace in knowing that God truly exists and is a loving heavenly father who cares about her. As we arrived at the church in Ufa, Elder Henderson offered her a Book of Mormon and told her that we had two wonderful sister missionaries who would be happy to share this message of hope with her. We told her a little about Sister Macbeth and Sister Williams and she agreed to give us her number so the sisters could call and set up an appointment. She refused to accept a Book of Mormon. As she left, we were confident that the Lord had placed her in our path. I was so proud of Elder Henderson and Elder Ashjian, who started a natural, friendly conversation with her immediately after we met her, and so effectively transitioned the conversation to the gospel when she expressed her curiosity about Americans coming to Russia with a religious message. We truly felt it was a tender mercy of the Lord, that Heavenly Father had picked her as the taxi driver who would pick us up at the airport. 

We gave the information to Sister Macbeth and Sister Williams, who contacted her the next day. Sadly, this young woman with whom we had had such a tender conversation, told the sisters that she regretted giving us her number and that she was not interested in meeting. She asked the sisters not to call her again. Sister Macbeth and Sister Williams kindly and thoughtfully texted her a sincere apology for any intrusion and offered to be available any time she felt an interest in talking. We were, of course, disappointed but each of us expressed that we knew the Lord had placed this woman in our path and hoped that someday the seeds we had planted in her heart would grow.

On Sunday afternoon, following church meetings and interviews with members and missionaries, Sister Christensen and I asked the Elders to order a taxi so we could go visit a part member family. To our great surprise, in a city of over a million people and thousands of taxis, the taxi that showed up to take me and Sister Christensen to our meeting was the same old faded red Daiwoo, driven by the same young mother who had expressed no belief in God and no desire to talk to the Sisters. The Elders greeted her and invited her in to the church. She was delighted to see us again and expressed how shocked she was to run into us twice in a weekend. The Elders did an amazing job of explaining the Book of Mormon again and trying to get her to accept a copy, but she again with strong resolve. As we left the church to get in her taxi, I quietly grabbed a Book of Mormon. Sister Christensen jumped in the taxi with her and took off. 

As we drove, I brought up the topic of her handicapped son and she was happy to talk more about him. She shared how wonderful her husband has been as the little boy’s loving father. We talked about our own family in America and how blessed we are to have the love of children and grandchildren. I complimented her on having such a kind and loving husband. At a stop light, I told her that is was no accident that she was with us again. She turned and looked at me intently as I spoke, while she waited for the light to change. I told her that God does exist, that He, like her husband, is a loving father who knows each one of His children and loves us dearly. I told her that the Book of Mormon that the Elders had spoken about is positive, compelling evidence that there is a God. As the light changed and we drove on, I continued to share how the Book of Mormon has blessed our family. 

As we stopped at the next light, she turned to me again and told me sincerely that she felt something very special as she talked with us and the Elders. She expressed how much she enjoyed the light she saw in our faces and the constant smiles of peace, friendship and kindness. She also expressed again how shocked she was and how completely unusual it was to see us again. Just before the light changed, as she was still looking back at me intently, I assured her that God knew her and her circumstances and had placed her in our path twice because we have the answers to her questions and can teach her how to find the peace that God alone can give her in her trials. As we drove on, I testified again that the Book of Mormon would change her life. I told her that it is the only reason Sister Christensen and I would leave 8 children and 25 grandchildren to come to Russia. I told her how much we love Russia and the Russian people. I told her that we were normal people like her, with many trials in life, and that the Book of Mormon was our foundation and the source of happiness and peace. She turned to me again, as we stopped at the next light, and said she would try to find it online. I then handed her the Book of Mormon I had brought from the church and opened it to the title page and asked her to begin there and continue through the whole book. She took the book and, with a big smile, promised me that she would read it. She told me that she felt a strong desire to do so and that she trusted my assurance that it would help her. We continued to talk about families and the fact that she can be with her family in the eternities. She loved the message. 

As we reached our destination, she thanked us and expressed her desire to see us again. I expressed our love for her and our sincere friendship. Just before we got out of the taxi, Sister Christensen bore a sweet and tender testimony to her, which I started to translate, but this sweet young woman immediately began shedding tears with Sister Christensen and informed me in very broken English that she understood everything Sister Christensen was saying. She promised that we would see each other again.

Elders and Sisters, there is no doubt that God, our Heavenly Father, placed this young mother in our path so that she and her kind husband, who are struggling to be good parents in difficult circumstances, will have the comfort and blessings of the gospel. I learned after this experience that Sister Macbeth and Sister Williams had been fasting and praying Sunday that they would somehow have the opportunity to teach this woman. Their prayers were answered. Sister Christensen and I saw the powerful change in her countenance and her disposition. 

I testify that this is truly the work of the Lord. When we are clean, obedient and dedicated missionaries, who open our mouths all day long and are filled with love for others and do everything in our power to find people to teach, God will and does, in fact, place them in our path. Please repent of every sin in your life. Be obedient with exactness to the standards written in Preach My Gospel and the Missionary Handbook. Love each other. Pray for each other. Speak with everyone and let your countenance be a witness to all that you are a chosen, pure and loving disciple of the Savior. I love missionary work!

And, I love each of you.

President Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment