Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Well hey there!

Life is going great here in Ufa. It's been snowing BUCKETS over here, and it's pretty chilly. This last week I got food poisoning (yay!) which was convenient because we got to stay in most of the day on the coldest day of the week. The high was -14 C. My lungs were freezing, lemme tell you.

It's still been kinda slow here. Just like in America, all the final exams are happening here so nobody can meet. Kind of a disappointing week and since I'll be in Ekat all week picking up my new companion and going through training, I'm not going to be able to proselyte in my area again until Friday. Kind of stressful a little bit.

Most of this week was spent helping Sister Galli pack and move and such. I'm going to the airport today right after internet with one of my favorite sisters in the zone who is being transferred to Ekat. Since we're both going to the airport together, we've been on splits since yesterday after church (we had to move baggage across town and stuff and there is no time to do that today). It's been kind of fun being the "senior" companion, and having meetings last night helped me realize that I can, in fact, take care of this area without Sister Galli here by my side. I'm sooooo nervous to train (a native!), but I'm excited at the same time. It's going to be a different experience. Basically, for the last six months of my life, I've had someone else telling me what to do, but for the first time, I actually have to think for myself again. That's going to be so weird.

I've been on a mission for six months-- how crazy is that? December 5th I hit that mark and the very next day (December 6th), I hit my four-months-in-country mark! Things like that just cheer me up right away and give me something to look forward to.

Other things to look forward to? Christmas and New Years. We get to have some parties with our zone, so that's going to be a nice break.

On Christmas, I get to Skype you for 90 whopping minutes! How great is that. I'll keep you posted on what time that will be. You can request a time, but it's kind of out of my control to decide what time. I'll try though!

Things I love about Russia:
Strollers are BIG here. The strollers look like SUVS with gigantic wheels and such. Everywhere is "stroller accessible" which basically just means that cement has been dumped on parts of the stairs to make a ramp for the wheels. Now that there's snow everywhere, children are pushed around in sleds. I am not kidding.
Mothers here dress their children up in snow suits starting in September. Kids wear snow pants EVERYwhere-- even to church. The cutest thing is seeing the little babies just wrapped up in these super gigantic down snow outfits. They look like chubby space aliens.
Music-- music is everywhere. Whether it's live music from street musicians or blasting out of radios in cars, buses, or at the mall. I love music. I love "Roar" by Katy Perry and also "Safe and Sound". Who knew that they would blast so much American music here? I love it!
Members-- the members here are solid. All the trouble that goes into converting someone is worth it because for the most part, the members stay members for life. There are lots of inactives of course-- but they're inactive for reasons (usually) other than pure disbelief in the church anymore.
It's a very efficient country. Yes, it's inefficient in a lot of ways just like anywhere else, but Russians are very efficient in all they do. If you're not standing 2 inches behind the person in line ahead of you, you'll probably get cut in line. It's not rudeness, it's just efficiency.
I love my zone. I'm sad transfers are happening because we're "losing" three amazing missionaries to other zones. I've really loved my zone. I feel like we're just a great, dysfunctional family. :)
I love being able to read signs and understand the jokes in ads and stuff. It makes me feel smart to not be illiterate (totally).
Everyone is a PRO at giving directions. The verbs here are soooo complicated, so I don't really understand people but as long as you understand "straight," "left," "right," and so forth, you will understand decently well. The people will keep giving you directions until you understand, and they're always happy to help.
Everyone is a hard worker here. Everyone works sooo hard whether it be at an actual job or in school. It seems like everyone is either working or studying.
Everyone's puffy coats or animal skin coats. Everyone looks so stylish all the time, but everything they own is practical. (Apparently) fur is extremely warm in -40 weather, so that's why it's so big here. Everyone is also super big into hats.
I love the food-- need I say more? I'm still not sick of it after four months in the country. hooray! I like bread and soup and pastries and candy (there's a lot of it here....didn't expect that).

I hope you all have a great week! I'll let you know next week how my first week was with my new companion. :)

Also, the primary program in the branch here yesterday was sooooo cute.

I love you!!!

Always,
Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment