Thursday, August 1, 2013

Week 8 (1 week left)

Dear Family,
Other than having a crazy week (as usual) and having some kind of crazy eye infection, life is great! I leave for Russia in officially less than one week. That's so weird! We got our travel plans this last week and also our cyrillic name tags. We drive to the Salt Lake airport at about 5am on Tuesday (we're supposed to be all ready to go at 4:30am) and we fly direct to Moscow at 8:30 am. Any calling home I do would be between 7-7:30 am. No, we're not allowed to call from the MTC-- it must be from the airport. I can either call collect, call with a calling card that is SUPER overpriced from the MTC, or maybe use some change? I dunno. We have a layover in the Moscow airport for about 4 hours then off to Ekaterinburg! We arrive there August 7th at 5:15pm Russia time. It's going to be quite a long flight(s).
The only thing to really say this week is that my Russian has made AMAZING progress (which is funny because mom just wrote to ask me about that-- haha). I actually know the grammar REALLY well this week, and lemme tell you, Russian grammar is freakishly hard. But I understand it now. My teacher even pulled me out in the hall yesterday to tell me how well I've been speaking this last week (not that I haven't been great before ;]). The hardest thing about Russian though, is the vocabulary. It's a very "scientific" language so for one simple english word, there's about 7 words in Russia that mean the same thing but more specific. So the vocab is what is killer. I've made so many flashcards to continue to build my vocabulary, but it's really hard. My district does "speak your language" 4+ days a week for the full day, and it hurts my brain.
For the last couple of weeks, I'd felt really impressed to ask for a blessing but I just didn't ever ask for one because of numerous reasons (it's a hassle....it's embarrassing....yada-yada-ya). But after contracting an eye infection, I knew I needed a blessing because God gave me the eye infection to humble me into asking for a blessing since I'm such a stubborn brat :) . I received a blessing of comfort, and in my blessing, the elder giving it to me (Nathan Allen-- he's so awesome), quoted I KID YOU NOT an entire paragraph from my patriarchal blessing with only a few words that were different. It was the coolest thing in the entire world and some amazing promises were made to me in that blessing. It really set me at peace about a lot of things.

As we were walking back from the temple walk on Sunday, I was talking to some of the missionaries from the other district (the new one), and this man in a car at the stoplight yelled out his window "are y'all from Scotland?!?!" and we were like "huh?" then he was like "y'all have red hair!!!!" and we all laughed and I told him we were going to Russia, and he goes "Vladivostok is the best!!!!!" and drove off. We all laughed then took a picture of all of us gingers together. (that's the pic I sent). cute huh? The elders in that district ALL just graduated from high school. Heather's friend, Ky Raymond's little brother Dax is in that district. He's such a nice guy. :)
The last 2 weeks we've been able to skype actual people from Russia (twice) during our "TRC time". It's been awesome! I understand a lot of what they say, so it's great to be able to communicate with them. I have to do a lot of translating for my companion though. One of the men we skyped told us to "live long and prosper" and flashed us the Vulcan sign at the end of our skyping with him. He was really funny. All the Russian people we've talked to seem nice, but it scares me because all the stories we hear are from Ukraine since both of our teachers served there. I am scared that the Russian people won't be as receptive as the Ukrainian people. Obviously the church is stronger in Ukraine anyway-- they have a temple! hahaha.
I passed my "exit interview" with my branch president with flying colors. He said that if he had to fill out some kind of sheet of paper, he would definitely approve me to go on my mission. It's been a huge learning experience for me here, and it's best (I've learned) to sometimes keep things to yourself so that other people don't think that you have big issues. I just enjoy talking my problems out with other people but apparently if you do that here, people think that you're full of lots of problems. So I've just learned to keep my problems to myself.
On Saturday, our class and another class did a role-play where 2 missionaries and a "member" were trying to get an inactive, RM back to church. It was a really awesome thing, and I felt the spirit extremely strong. I was the member, and the inactive RM was one of the teachers from the other class who just felt really insecure coming home after her mission. We helped her realize that if she's felt the spirit before, she can feel it again in her life ( we relied heavily on Alma 5), and it was really awesome. It reminded me of one of my RM friends who's now inactive in the church. I know the church is true and yes, sometimes I get upset at people or don't want to go to church.... but I can't deny the fact that I've felt the spirit there and there's no way I would be feeling the spirit if the church wasn't true. There is no way that I've had all these amazing spiritual experiences if the church isn't true. The church is true! Just accept it, ignore the people that are weird and judgmental, and hey, you can move on with life. There's no point in being angry forever or feeling ostracized because people judge you. welcome to life. Nobody's perfect. The people in the church aren't perfect. The people RUNNING the church aren't perfect. But the Gospel is perfect. And God has perfect love for you. John 3:16. I've loved studying that scripture this last week. That scripture and Moses 1:39 really do explain why EVERYTHING happens. Why is God the same yesterday, today, and forever? Because He loves us. He wants what's best for us. And sometimes, yes sometimes, thats means putting us through trials because HE KNOWS WHAT WILL MAKE US STRONGER. It's up to us to face the challenge. Fight or flight? Based on your reactions to situations, that's what really determines your character. And your character is what you're ultimately judged by. Are you going to sulk your way through life? Are you going to decide to take offense to people? Well, guess what? Everyone has agency and everyone will be judged for their actions. And you will be judged for your REACTIONS to those actions (and also your own actions). So, really? What's holding you back from embracing the Gospel 100%? It's true. You know it, I know it.
Going on a mission has been really hard, and guess what? I haven't even left yet! But I'm super stoked for what the next 16 months of my life will bring and I am determined to not let anything get my down. I need my positive attitude to last me through the cold winters of Russia. I know Heavenly Father loves me, and he is looking out for me.
The temple has been closed for most of the summer but today, we had the opportunity to help clean the Provo temple. Sister Smith and I helped with the small chandeliers in the celestial room and it was so cool to see "behind the scenes" of the temple. It was great to be able to go inside again the week before I head off to Russia.
My p-day is Monday right before I leave. I love you! Thank you SO MUCH for your prayers. Without them, I know I'd be having a hard time here. I love you all so much.
I'll call Tuesday. Love you!

cecmpa Brown

 some gingers in my district and my cyrillic tag

No comments:

Post a Comment