Well hello family!
It's been a crazy week here, and the days are SO LONG-- just as everybody says. But they go by quickly.
Parents, I hope you got the letter that I mailed home. Please
send me food because ohmyheck there is not enough of it here. Also, one
more exercise shirt would be nice to have. As well as 3 dozen
Krispy-Kreme donuts (and other assorted treats) for my district. They
told me to tell you that there are 20 men in my district and to give
enough donuts/food for that amount. ;)
(there are only 8 men. haha)
Anyway, MTC. It's been
interesting. Everyone always says it's like being hit in the face with a
fire-hose or something. But really, it was just like my first couple
days at BYU. A bajillion orientations, a bajillion classes, etc. The
HUGE difference though was teaching investigators. The first night we
were all thrown into separate rooms (100 missionaries/room) and
group-taught investigators. Fun fact: one of our investigators we saw
singing with MoTab during Music and the Spoken Word
Sunday.
Anyway, for some reason my stomach has become a black-hole here. I
eat and eat and eat what I THINK should be a good amount of food, and
then I'm still hungry for more. (Don't worry, I go running everyday, so I
won't get fat.) We actually didn't have scheduled gym time either
Wednesday or
Thursday and BELIEVE ME, I was going stir-crazy so.bad. Going running
on Friday
was AMAZING. Unfortunately, I decided to stuff myself at dinner with 8
pieces of Papa John's pizza (the only good food the cafeteria had had
all week), but I was able to get about 4 miles in.
Sleeping has been interesting. Sister Smith and I are right by
the door in our room, so we hear everything from the hall. It's
surprising how some missionaries refuse to keep the curfew time, and I
don't know how they stay up so late, but it's been keeping me up too. I
think the main reason is that my brain won't turn off at night and then I
hear them being loud, and it keeps me up too. And some sisters have
their service cleaning assignment at
6:05am, and when they wake up at
5:30
they are ultra-loud in the bathroom. Fortunately, the last couple of
days I've been so exhausted that I've kind of just slept through it.
The second full day we were there we taught an investigator in
Russian. Sister Smith, bless her heart, is not quite as talented as I
am at speaking Russian, so it was a struggle, but the Spirit was there
and that was all that mattered. His name is Ruslan and he is from
Ukraine. The language is coming along great for me, but that's because I
took Russian 101. I am definitely the most knowledgeable one in my
district, but I'm sure in the next couple of days that will change
because some of those Elders are SO STUDIOUS and have already learned a
lot of conjugation/spelling rules on their own outside of class.
I LOVE MY DISTRICT. I met Elder Moore and Elder Coppinger
before the MTC, and Elder Moore is District Leader. All the elders are
incredible. They have the sweetest testimonies and try so hard in
Russian. Taking Russian 101 has been SUCH a blessing because we only
have a teacher available 3 hours a day, and I am the resource the rest
of the time for grammar questions/pronunciation issues. It's great
because everyone knows I like being a smart-aleck.
But my district is incredible. I already feel like they're my
family, and I know I'll cry when we part ways (only 3 elders are going
to Yekat, so I won't see the rest of them for another 2 years). They're
so funny, and they'll burst out into musicals frequently to pass the
time. I giggle like a maniac, and they all just roll their eyes at me :)
My companion, Sister Smith (she's my facebook friend, fyi) get
along GREAT. Bless her heart, the Russian sounds haven't quite clicked
yet in her mind BUT THEY WILL. I prayed for my companion before I came,
and she's been a perfect match. She was absolutely matched up with me to
test my patience. It's interesting reflecting the months leading up to
my mission call and how/when I decided to submit my mission papers. Mom,
remember how I told you how I couldn't decide between
April 24th and May 1st as my availability date? Well, I know now that I was supposed to choose
May 1st
so I could get shipped off the June 5th transfer to have Sister Smith
as my companion. Her experience is similar in submitting her papers. We
are perfect for each other. She is so sweet and tries SO HARD that it's
impossible to get frustrated for mispronouncing things/forgetting words.
We giggle all the time and all the "ctareishnee" (Russian word for
Elders) just roll their eyes at us. We love our Elders so much because
we would go insane without them. And they feel the same way as us. Even
though we're the only "see-o-stree" in our district, we all get along
fantabulously.
Overall, I like the MTC and I'm soooooo grateful that my
mission is being paid for by dad. Being here is like being in spiritual
boot camp. My testimony has grown so much already, and it's only been
since
Wednesday.
It's going to be tough. I know that because it's already been tough.
I've thought about going home quite a bit, but I recognize that that is
ABSOLUTELY IN NO WAY AN OPTION EVER. So don't worry about that :) I love
Russian, and I love speaking it. I understand almost everything our
teacher says (her name is Sister O'Neill). She actually took Russian 101
when she was at BYU because she got called to Ukraine
(Russian-speaking), and she had Olya, my same teacher, too! How awesome,
huh?
Eric, if you could hack into my email that would be great. I
ordered an SD card reader and an external hard-drive that are supposed
to be here by now. I can't include pictures in this email because I
don't have my SD card reader, but I will try to hunt one down and send
pictures in a separate email (please post this letter on my blog as well
as a link to my blog on Facebook). How are you? Send me a DearElder!
But really, send me a dearElder and let me know where my amazon orders
have been shipped too. This is extremely frustrating. :)
If anyone has time to shoot me a DearElder, my address is
posted on Facebook. We look super popular at meal times when they're
delivered. So far, I'm one of the more popular ones but that's really
only because Dad writes me frequently. MOM YOU NEED TO SEND ME A LETTER
AND TELL ME HOW EVERYTHING IS GOING.
Have Dave and Laura had their baby yet? Good to hear that
Heather had a good time in her marathon. I thought about her that day.
Thanks for the care package mom! I really like that shade of lipstick.
Funny Story: When the package arrived, it was in a basic
grocery-store brown bag. Inside, was a ultimate-brownie cupcake from
cocoa bean cafe (a little squished BUT EXCELLENT), some stickers, and a
pink Victoria's Secret bag with lipstick/lipgloss inside. I put the
brown bag by my chair in my classroom and apparently the Elders decided
to peek into it (they're so funny). They were QUITE SCANDALIZED to see
the Victoria's Secret bag. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
It was really funny. My companion and I giggled quite profusely and
tried to explain that it was only lipstick in there, but the Elders gave
us looks like "uh huh.....riiiiiIIIIIIIghhhhhht"
. It was a hoot. I love them a lot.
My Pday is Tuesdays, and I have a set-time for emailing. So if you
want to write me hand-written letters, that would be great. Also, Mom if
you could send me some stationary/envelopes/stamps that would be great.
Dad and I never discussed the credit card, but I figured using it for
mission expenses would be acceptable. Dad, what I bought at the MTC
bookstore was:
Oxford Russian Picture Dictionary (James Christiansen highly recommended). $35
Flashcards-- $1.29
Flashcards-- $1.29
Shade Shirt size Medium-- $10.99
Shade Shirt size Medium-- $10.99.
Subtotal was $59.56 with a "$15.04 missionary discount" to
being the grand total to $44.52. I will take a picture of the receipt if
you want, but as I explained earlier, I don't have my SD card reader
that I ordered from Amazon yet. Ah well, tis life.
Keep praying for me! I love you all!!!
Cecpa Brown
p.s. expect another email with pictures later today.
No comments:
Post a Comment