Monday, February 11, 2013

I'm panicking a lot. Well, not a whole lot. But still a lot. Russia. I'm going to Russia. In just 2 years I will (hopefully) be fluent in a language that I had only heard made fun of in movies before this. Leaving my friends behind. Leaving my family behind. Leaving my education behind. And for what? To serve the Lord. And that makes it so worth it.

 Recently, I drove down streets that in just a few months will be nothing more than a memory... I'll be honest. I started bawling like a baby. I miss America so much, and I haven't even left yet.

It's going to be hilarious to see how much I cry on the two-day plane ride over, eh?
Sources of my panic:

  • the rush to buy as many winter clothes as I can. Temperature range in Yekat? -49 to 80 fareinheit 
  • NOBODY I KNOW IS GETTING CALLED THERE. everyone is going to Europe! The States! South America! Yekat is just a weird mission, I guess. It just scares me to be "alone"
  • anyone that I do "know" that is going there (from Facebook) goes in 1+ transfers before me. So yeah, I'm alone
  • It's Russia. It's Post-Soviet. It's not America and therefore scary.... (have we established the fact that I am terrified yet?)
  • long, thick skirts ideal for layering underneath.
    apparently Sisters wear several skirts daily in the wintertime.
    welcome to Russia!
    summer tops/summer skirts
    winter sweaters. yum. 
    fun, colorful jackets and cardigans for every season but winter
    :)
I'll post a picture of my shoes/boots sometime. Be excited.

yeah, have fun trying to read/understand the scriptures in cyrillic!
I actually understood this the other day.
Oliver Cowdry. David Whitmer. Martin Harris.
See? This girl can do hard things.

2 comments: